DADA (Formerly DADA ABC) Introduction
DADA is an online teaching platform where you teach students 1 on 1. DADA is unique in that they also teach French and Spanish so if you’re a native speaker of those languages DADA could be a good fit for you.
DADA is an excellent alternative to VIPKID, particularly if you’re from the UK as VIPKID only hires North American teachers. The way DADA works is that you give your availability a few weeks in advanced and then the company matches you with prospective students.
The upside of this is that you have guaranteed hours, the downside is that you lose out on the flexibility aspect that VIPKID offers because you must give your availability a few weeks out and are unable to cancel class without being penalized.
DADA Job Description
Here is what you can expect working for DADA:
- The hourly rate is $16-25 per hour.
- You will be teaching young learners aged 4 to 16..
- Classes are 1 on 1 for 30 minutes.
- Potential Class Schedule (Beijing Time):
- Mon – Fri: 6:00 pm-9:00 pm
- Sat – Sun: 10:00 am-12:00 pm; 2:00 pm-4:00 pm; 6:00 pm-9:00 pm
- There is a minimum commitment each week of 4 hours.
- The max amount of hours is 20.
- You must have a Bachelor’s degree.
- North American preferred but will hire UK and Australia with no issue.
- Contracts are for 6 to 12 months.
- TESOL/TEFL certification is now needed due to Chinese regulations.
- Teaching experience preferred.
- Have a neutral, standard accent for your respective country.
Please note the minimum weekly commitment. You must be available every week for 4 hours minimum. This may seem like a non-issue but if you’re wanting to take a vacation or travel you will still need to meet this weekly minimum.
As with any online teaching platform, just get in contact with DADA HR when needing to take time off as your allotted time per contract to take off for vacation.
DADA Pay Structure
The following is the most up to date information on the pay structure :
- Your monthly salary is now in dollars instead of Chinese RMB.
- Your pay will range between $15-$22 an hour depending on experience, classes taught and your mock class evaluation.
- You can receive pay raises and make up to $25 over time.
- For canceled classes you get 30% of your base pay.
DADA Incentive Pay
DADA currently offers a wide variety of incentive pay. The following is what you can expect to get while working as an independent contractor with DADA:
- Regular student class bonus: 30% of your base pay
- On time bonus: $1 extra per class
- Trial class conversion: $2 extra per new student signup
- Substitute teacher bonus: 30% of your base pay
- Referral bonus of $100 per teacher you successfully recruit
- Access to a desktop computer or laptop
- Headset and HD webcam
DADA Teacher Requirements
DADA requires to you to be a native English speaker with a neutral accent. You will need a bachelors degree to apply and a TEFL certificate is preferred (but not required).
To teach class you’re going to be using an interactive power point slide that you will have access to review before class. It’s also a good idea to have teaching props available to make the class more dynamic and interesting.
The hours vary from week day to weekend because you’re teaching students after they finish school For weekday hours it will be 6-9 pm Beijing time. For the weekend, students are available from 9 am to 10 pm Beijing time.
You will sign a contract that requires an on going 6 month commitment. Each week you are required to teach a minimum number of hours. They also offer part time contracts, but even part time contracts have a 2 hour minimum clause.
Advantages of DADA
- Good hourly rate. The range is between $16 to 25 dollars. Most teachers make $20 an hour.
- The hiring process is simple. Interview with DADA, then check your internet connection and then have a demo class with an actual student.
- Curriculum and associated lessons are made for you. Minimal class preparation.
- Class for regular students is 30 minutes, for trial classes it’s 14 minutes.
- Your schedule will fill up fast. If you open availability but the company does not book you, you still get half pay.
- Various bonuses and flexibility
Disadvantages of DADA
- You must work at least 2 days for 2 hours on those days. Even if you’re on vacation you still have to do this.
- DADA will pay your earnings in RMB. You will have to transfer this money which costs a small fee plus a conversion fee. You could have roughly 3% of your earning going to bank fees.
- DADA will assess a 10% reduction in your pay if you take off more than two days you agreed to be available or if you miss class.
- You will have to do a quick student feedback assessment after class.
Teacher Tip: You can do a 6 month or 12-month contract with DADA. Our DADA teachers suggest you negotiate your pay based on the length of the contract. Demand a higher rate if you’re willing to sign a 6 month contract.
- A computer with a webcam (HD webcam preferred);
- A headset with microphone
- Stable Internet connection (wired connection preferred)
- Google Chrome browser or DaDa Class software
Apply To DADA
To get started teaching with DADA, simply visit www.dadaabc.com/teacher/ and upload you CV through their application form. As part of your application, you’ll need to submit a picture. Your picture will become your teacher profile so pick something appropriate.
An ideal picture should be you smiling, clean background and only you in the picture. If you qualify for a position, they will conduct an initial interview. After this interview, they will conduct an internet connection test. Then you will have a class on TPR training that you will need to complete.
The next step will be to watch training videos and to prepare for your demo class. The demo class will be a mock class with a DADA teacher to make sure you’re ready to start teaching actual students.
Once you pass the mock class, you’ll be given a 6 to 12 month contract. After that you simply submit your availability and begin teaching.