Qkids is an online teaching platform where you will teach a class of up to four students at the same time. The students are aged between 6 and 12 of varying degrees of language proficiency.
Qkids has great reviews but is ideal for teachers looking strictly for a part time gig only. It’s not possible to be a full time teacher with them due to how they structure their work environment.
Qkids Job Description
Like most online teaching platofrms, Qkids uses a propriatary classroom system where you’re provided with all the teaching material you need to conduct the class. Your expected to be in the classroom a minimum of 3 minutes before class begins, otherwise you will be considered a no-show.
Here are some more details for what you can expect from Qkids:
- The pay is $16 – 20 per hour*
- Students are aged 5 to 12
- Class can be from 1 student up to 4 students simultaniously
- Teaching time is for 30 minutes + being in the classroom 3 minutes prior to class starting
- You have to teach a minimum of 6 hours per week
- Class Schedule (Beijing Time):
- Hours each week:. 6:40-7:10 pm, 7:20-7:50 pm, 8:00-8:30 pm, 8:40-9:10 pm
- Friday and Saturday hours: 8:40-9:10 pm, 9:20-9:50 pm, 10:00-10:30 pm, 10:40-11:10 pm, 11:20-11:50 pm.
*The pay while posted as $16-20 an hour is simply not true. They schedule a 10 minute break in between classes making it impossible to teach 2 classes in 1 hour. Also, the class time from start to finish is 33 minutes because YOU MUST be in the classroom at least 3 minutes before class interacting with the students or you will be marked as a no-show.
So for each class, it takes up 45 minutes of your time. If you meet the attendance and performance goals you’ll get $13 an hour, if you fail to meet the attendance and performance goals you’ll make around $11 per class.
Qkids Job Requirements
SO what are the requirements to work with QKids?
- You must be able to legally work in the United States or Canada
- You must be currently living in and teaching from the United States or Canada.
- Have earned a bachelors degree or higher.
- You have 6 hours of availability each week to teach.
- Prior experience working with kids. Teaching is ideal, but coaching or mentoring qualifies you as well.
- English teaching as a foreign language certificates like a TESOL, TEFL or CELTA are highly preferred.
- You have have good TPR and are able to conduct a fun and engaging classroom.
- You can meet the technical requirements of a stable internet connection.
What is the hiring process like?
From start to finish expect about 3 weeks to complete all the stepsApply with all the required documents.Next will be an initial interview. If you pass, you will have your first demo interview. If you pass this, you’ll have a second demo interview.
After the demo interviews you will have a trial class with an actual student. Once you pass this trial class Qkids will conduct a background check.If you have no criminal history you’ll be given a contract to sign.
What are all required hiring documents?
- You need to submit a resume. Customize it so it’s appropriate for an online teaching position. Highlight your degree and previous experience with kids.
- You will need to inform them of your availability.
- They will also want a screenshot of your computer specs. As you could be teaching up to 4 students at one time you need to have the correct specs.
- Lastly, you’ll need to make a 2 minute introduction video. In the video introduce yourself, tell where you live, your educational background, and teaching experience. You will also need to read a children’s story. Use good TPR.
Can I teach from anywhere?
Anywhere in the U.S. or Canada is fine. If your an ESL teacher living abroad, you can’t work with QKids.
What devices do I need?
Online teaching platforms all have the same technical requirements.
- A laptop or a desktop with a web cam.
- A headset that has a microphone.
- A good internet connection that meets the technical requirements. Wifi is fine, wired is preferred.
What are the technical requirement?
2 Mbps upload and 4 Mbps download. You can check your speed here: http://www.speedtest.net/
How long does it take to hear from QKids after I apply?
If you pass the preliminary requirements it takes 3-4 business days to be notified about how to begin the hiring process.
The QKids Interview
Most online companies are moving away from doing a practice class with a teacher and are instead moving more toward submitting a video demo. This saves on costs, but it makes the hiring process easier for all parties involved.
What are the demo interviews like?
The first demo interview is focused on your teaching skills and knowledge of the QKids platform. You’ll be asked questions that will help assess your teaching skills as well as your ability to use the QKids platform.In the 2nd demo interview you’ll be asked various questions related to teaching and problem solving in the classroom.
How you would correct a student, when you would give out a reward. The question and answer section lasts for 25 minutes. After, you’ll be asked to demonstrate your teaching skills and personality in the classroom.
What is the trial class period?
Trial classes consist of you teaching 2 to 5 lessons with actual students. You’ll get feedback from QKids and the students parents on things you did well and things to improve on.
Will I get paid for the trial classes?
Yes of course. You’ll get the base rate of $8.
How do I teach?
As will all online platforms, you’ll be given an interactive educational slides that have various educational objectives. You’re expected to meet the lesson objectives and use the incorporated characters and games.
There is no lesson planning, but you need to review the slides so you have a strong comprehension over the what the lesson objectives are. The class lasts for 30 minutes but you’re required to log into the classroom 3 minutes before class time.Also be prepared to use any associated teaching props. You should expect to be teaching 1 to 4 students.
Will I be teaching the same students every time?
No, students are placed with teachers based on matching availability. You will see the same students over the course of contract however.
Do I interact with the parents in any way?
No, QKids will handle all interactions.
Time and Scheduling
Are there any minimum hours required?
Yes, you must be available for 6 hours each week.
What time am I expected to teach?
Hours everyday are (AM – EST): 6:40-7:10, 7:20-7:50, 8:00-8:30, 8:40-9:10
You can also teach Friday and Saturday – Night (PM – EST): 8:40-9:10, 9:20-9:50, 10:00-10:30, 10:40-11:10, 11:20-11:50
How do I get bookings?
QKids books your classes. You can check your schedule for the upcoming week using the QKids platform.
What if I need to cancel a class?
To avoid any penalties, cancel class within 24 hours by notifying the QKids staff.
How much do I get paid?
You will be paid in U.S. dollars, even if you’re a Canadian teacher. The base pay is $8 base pay for a full lessons. You will also get $4 base pay for standby lessons. Standby lessons you don’t teach, you’re simply on standby.QKids also has incentive pay. You get a $1 performance bonus for each lesson based on family review. Then you get an eligibility bonus for completing 15 lessons minimum each week.
When will I be paid?
You’re paid by bank transfer to your bank account in the United States or Canada. The pay date the 15th of each month in which you will be paid the previous months earnings.
What about taxes?
You’re considered an independent contractor and are required to take care of your own taxes.
Can I take time off?
Yes, you’re an independent contractor, not an employee. As such you’re not give any official vacation pay but you’re able to take off time as you need. Please contact QKids 2 weeks in advanced if you need to take time off.
QKids is great if you’re based in the United States or Canada and are looking to teach online part time. So if you’re looking for something that pairs well with other online teaching companies or are simply looking for a VIPKID alternative, checkout QKids.