Qkids is an online teaching platform where you will teach a class of up to four students at the same time. The students are aged between 6 and 12 of varying degrees of language proficiency. Qkids has great reviews but is ideal for teachers looking strictly for a part time gig only. It’s not possible to be a full time teacher with them due to how they structure their work environment.
Qkids Job Description
Like most online teaching platofrms, Qkids uses a propriatary classroom system where you’re provided with all the teaching material you need to conduct the class. Your expected to be in the classroom a minimum of 3 minutes before class begins, otherwise you will be considered a no-show.
Here are some more details for what you can expect from Qkids:
- The pay is $16 – 20 per hour*
- Students are aged 5 to 12
- Class can be from 1 student up to 4 students simultaniously
- Teaching time is for 30 minutes + being in the classroom 3 minutes prior to class starting
- You have to teach a minimum of 6 hours per week
- Class Schedule (Beijing Time):
- Hours each week:. 6:40-7:10 pm, 7:20-7:50 pm, 8:00-8:30 pm, 8:40-9:10 pm
- Friday and Saturday hours: 8:40-9:10 pm, 9:20-9:50 pm, 10:00-10:30 pm, 10:40-11:10 pm, 11:20-11:50 pm.
*The pay while posted as $16-20 an hour is simply not true. They schedule a 10 minute break in between classes making it impossible to teach 2 classes in 1 hour. Also, the class time from start to finish is 33 minutes because YOU MUST be in the classroom at least 3 minutes before class interacting with the students or you will be marked as a no-show.
So for each class, it takes up 45 minutes of your time. If you meet the attendance and performance goals you’ll get $13 an hour, if you fail to meet the attendance and performance goals you’ll make around $11 per class.
Qkids Job Requirements
- You must be able to legally work in the United States or Canada
- You must be currently living in and teaching from the United States or Canada.
- Have earned a bachelors degree or higher.
- You have 6 hours of availability each week to teach.
- Prior experience working with kids. Teaching is ideal, but coaching or mentoring qualifies you as well.
- English teaching as a foreign language certificates like a TESOL, TEFL or CELTA are highly preferred.
- You have have good TPR and are able to conduct a fun and engaging classroom.
- You can meet the technical requirements of a stable internet connection.
What is the hiring process like?
From start to finish expect about 3 weeks to complete all the steps
What are all required hiring documents?
- You need to submit a resume. Customize it so it’s appropriate for an online teaching position. Highlight your degree and previous experience with kids.
- You will need to inform them of your availability.
- They will also want a screenshot of your computer specs. As you could be teaching up to 4 students at one time you need to have the correct specs.
- Lastly, you’ll need to make a 2 minute introduction video. In the video introduce yourself, tell where you live, your educational background, and teaching experience. You will also need to read a children’s story. Use good TPR.
Can I teach from anywhere?
What devices do I need?
Online teaching platforms all have the same technical requirements.
- A laptop or a desktop with a web cam.
- A headset that has a microphone.
- A good internet connection that meets the technical requirements. Wifi is fine, wired is preferred.
What are the technical requirement?
2 Mbps upload and 4 Mbps download.
You can check your speed here: http://www.speedtest.net/
How long does it take to hear from QKids after I apply?
The QKids Interview
What are the demo interviews like?
What is the trial class period?
Will I get paid for the trial classes?
How do I teach?
Will I be teaching the same students every time?
Do I interact with the parents in any way?
Time and Scheduling
Are there any minimum hours required?
What time am I expected to teach?
You can also teach Friday and Saturday – Night (PM – EST): 8:40-9:10, 9:20-9:50, 10:00-10:30, 10:40-11:10, 11:20-11:50
How do I get bookings?
What if I need to cancel a class?
How much do I get paid?
When will I be paid?
What about taxes?
You’re considered an independent contractor and are required to take care of your own taxes.
Can I take time off?
QKids is great if you’re based in the United States or Canada and are looking to teach online part time.
Review Date – Novemeber 2018
QKids Online Teaching